Clydeside Distillery was established in 2017 on the bank of Glasgow River Clyde. The distillery sits on the site which was known as the Queens Dock. It was a commercial wet dock built by John Morrison of Morrison and Mason and opened by Queen Victoria in 1877.
After almost four years of maturation, Clydeside Distillery has launched its first Single Malt Whisky. Stobcross is a Lowland scotch, matured in American and European oak casks. It is now available to buy from the distillery's website for £45.
Stobcross is made from 100% Scottish barley and water from Loch Katrine. This inaugural release has a floral nose with fresh sweetness and tropical tones. To the palate, there are orchard fruits and a hint of white pepper.
Andrew Morrison is the Commercial Director at Morrison Glasgow Distillers. He said: “Today marks a culmination of many years of hard work. Stobcross pays tribute to Glasgow’s industrial heritage and its spirit of innovation. Our whisky has been lying waiting for almost four years. This time, along with our distiller’s skills and craftsmanship, has created something special. We’re proud to launch our very first Single Malt.”
Stobcross is named after an historic cross which once marked the route to Dumbarton Rock. Stobcross would later be the name given to a fine mansion built in the 1600s. The mansion was demolished in 1875 to make way for the Queen’s Dock, at one time the centre of Glasgow’s global import and export trade.
Today, in the Dock’s former Pumphouse, built in 1877, that spirit of innovation continues. The Clydeside Distillery is owned by Morrison Glasgow Distillers Ltd. Tim Morrison, is the great grandson of John Morrison who built The Queen’s Dock in the 1870s. The project to transform The Pump House into a whisky distillery began in 2012. The distillery opened its doors to the public in November 2017.